Read all about food access programs in Alaska and how you can accept SNAP & WIC/SFMNP at your market here:
- Local Food for Every Family: Cultivating healthier economies, customers, and communities through food access. This resource was created by the Alaska Farmers Market Association and Sarra Khlifi.
Food access programs provide more equitable access to fresh, healthy, local foods for everyone. Food assistance programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Senior Nutrition, and Women, Infancts, and Children (WIC) provide support for those who qualify that they can utilize at farmers markets.
Farmers Market Nutrition Programs for Market Managers & Vendors (Video): The Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP):
- Future of the Farmers Market Quest Program In Alaska – Alaska Farmers Market Association and Alaska Department of Health and Social Services
- Farmers Markets Financial Assistance & Incentive Programs – AFMA
- SNAP at Farmers Markets – The USDA offers guidance on accepting SNAP
- Accepting SNAP Benefits at Your Farmers Market or Market Booth: A How-To Toolkit – Maricopa County Department of Public Health
- Montana Farmers Market Electronic Benefits Transfer Manual
- What is EBT? – USDA Food & Nutrition Service
- Farmers Market EBT Program – The Ecology Center, CA
- Accepting SNAP at Direct Marketing Sites & Farmers Market (Video) – Michigan State University
- Adding EBT Access to Your Farmers Market – Farm Direct Incentives Guide. Requires your first and last name, and email address to access webinar recording.
- How Farmers Markets Can Accept SNAP & EBT (Video) – RAFI-USA’s Come to the Table Program
- How to Create a Welcoming Farmers Market for SNAP Shoppers – Texas Center for Local Food. This is a free course, but you must enroll with your email to gain access to the content.
Women, Infants, and Children Program (WIC):
Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP):
- SFMNP Fact Sheet – USDA
- USDA Website on SFMNP
- 2021-2022 Income Eligibility SFMNP – USDA
- 2021 SFMP Grants Summary – USDA
Information on Processing Nutrition Benefits:
- Food Bank of Alaska SNAP – Processing SNAP
- SNAP – DHSS – SNAP information from the Department of Health and Social Services Division of Public Assistance